Skip to Main Content

For information about COVID-19 policies and restrictions on campus, please visit the UCLA COVID-19 resources website.

UCLA Basic Needs


You must be a legal resident, or U.S. citizen, or have children who are U.S. citizens to qualify. You cannot have a dining hall meal plan above 10.5 meals/week. If you are under 22 years and living at home with your family, you must apply together as a household. If you are 22 years or older and living at home with your family, you can apply separately from your family.

Most undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for CalFresh if they meet at least one of the following:

  • receive CalGrant A or B
  • approved for and accepted work study offer
  • work ~20hrs/week and make under $2128/month for a one-person household
  • Be responsible for a dependent child under age 6; OR dependent child 6 to 11 and no adequate childcare is available
  • Be a single parent responsible for care of a dependent child under age 12
  • Be enrolled in CalWORKs
  • Participating in Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
  • Medically verified as unable to work or participating in Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS)


If you are in a California Dept. Social Services (CDSS)-approved Student Employment Program, you are most likely eligible for CalFresh.

The following UCLA programs are currently CDSS-approved student employment programs:

  • Juris Doctor Program at UCLA School of Law
  • Medical Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM)
  • Doctor of Dental Surgery Program at UCLA School of Dentistry
  • Master Entry Clinical Nurse Program at UCLA School of Nursing
  • Master Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) Program at UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs
  • Master Public Health (MPH) at UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
  • UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs: Master of Public Policy (MPP) Program

If you are a graduate student not in a CDSS-approved student employment program, please consider the eligibility on this page.

You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply. Additionally, you must make under the monthly income threshold for your household size.

so we can confirm that you submit your application and verification documents correctly. Make sure to thoroughly review the "Apply for CalFresh" and "Verification Documents" sections below, before applying.